Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Bullseye Necklace

Since May, I've been working quite furiously when in the office. Not that I want to but because I have to as I was given a sparkling invisible necklace made of bullseyes from management. It all started with the re-restructure that occurred at the beginning of 2Q08. My group consists of three people (me boss, me-self and me co-worker).

The boss doesn't really do much other than push things onto me while he reads the paper, Stumbles online, checks out the Manhattan skyline and inhales a pound and change of sunflower seeds everyday. Me co-worker is ever the model worker as she helped me with a few annual reviews and other mindless shit that was handled by other folks prior the re-restructure. As for me, I'm inundated with demands from the front, middle and back office.

I get the privilege of hitting the group's quota for this year, writing up the bundles of annual reviews myself & correcting Credit's shoddy contributions (or lack thereof since they're worse copy-and-pasters than me-self), maintaining the quarterly financial statements & compliance certificates, reviewing & preparing closing documents, filing all necessary paperwork to the cabinets and responding to all waivers and inquiries from HK.

For all these perks, I get a key to the penthouse office where we've been re-restructured to. I'm not allowed to smoke on the balcony (me co-worker told me the big cheese asked her to spy on me). In fact, I'm not allowed outside but I go anyways and occasionally have a smoke. At least, I still have my music, my net links for time/space dislocations and a bathroom for 3 people only (they're not messy at all).

While I've asked for help, the assurances I get are that it's coming shortly, soon or in the near future. So far, ZIP, NADA, BUPKISS. But I shouldn't complain. After all, I have a job, especially in this shitty market when many companies are letting go of staff. Hell, I should work harder since they haven't fired my ass yet though they're so itching to do so. In fact, I should grateful to take their abuse as I put myself in this precarious position by performing so well at the beginning of my tenure that it created unrealistic expectations. Dammit, it's my fault that I'm not living up to those lofty aims despite the massive economic realities against it.

I should be so lucky to be adorned with the bullseye necklace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like I said... you're just like Napoleon!

I believe Napoleon lived quite some time in exile before the Arsenic he was fed kicked in..hahaa