Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Subway Sardines

Four years ago, I left Manhattan to become a Brooklynite again. The daily commute was easy as it is 1 local and 3 express stops. My hours were 9 to 5, then 9 to 6 but it didn't bother me. Occasionally, I'd quip about the funk of getting onto the express train. I thought it was crowded then.

Holy smokes! It's much worse today. I'd estimate a 25% increase, easily. As I was filing up the staircase this morning, I wondered if there was an opposite or negative or mirror word for "serendipity". I searched for a word while musing if moving work hours to 830-530 was actually an unintended good thing but suck balls because:

-I grown fond of sleeping and am often late. I stroll in around 930 and could care less what they say;
-being on the platform at 740AM under the new hours was crowd-light and, occasionally, I saw my cousin taking her daughter to school; and,
-there was a cutie who I think I knew from grade school but couldn't be sure. Eventually, she stopped showing up and I presumed that she moved.

Since Monday, I found myself back on the old 9-to-5 schedule AND when I was on time. Holy smokes, it was packed.

What will it be like in another 4 years? I would dread having to push myself to 8 to 6 hours just the avoid the morning rush.

Who saw Nip/Tuck last night? Aren't the writers doing a fabulous job this season? Also, which Beauty and the Geek would you vote for? It's a toss-up for me.

No comments: