Monday, July 23, 2007

Yet another step back

After finding a good parking spot two blocks from the subway entrance, I made my way to the station with a small umbrella as the regular large one was already in the office. With music pumping and my heart rate jumping, it was wonderful to soak in the cool humidity. Yes, I do dig this humidity because it's cool. A bit cooler would be nicer.

The R train comes in and there are plenty of seats but I choose to stand as I'm engrossed with the news. As we pull into 59th Street, there's an N train waiting for us. Nice! I make my way across the platform and into the train. As always, I make my way to the middle so as to not block the area by the doors. Plus, there's usually room and, if the air con is on, it's cooler. As I turn to my right, this young man gets up from his seat as it seems he just realized that he needed the R train that I just got off. I stop my advance to let him out.

Immediately, a young Asian (I hate this word as chances are he was Chinese) boy makes for the seat and get seated. Just then this older Mongolian-looking thrusts herself into the seat and with a right hip-check nudges the boy between her and the woman sitting at the end. I didn't think much of it and I made my way to the roomy middle. Mongola (as I shall call the older woman) completes the bum-rush and the kid is forced out of the seat. Damn!

Other folks were shaking their heads but did nothing. I think the woman at the end said something but Mongola didn't respond as she probably didn't speak English. Mongola seemed to possess a combination of "I'm older, respect me", "fight for it and it's yours" and "I don't give a rat's ass". For the next three stops, she held her position at Queen Toad on the lilypad which included leaning against the guy next to her (he fell asleep after shaking his head at her).

What's a witness to do?

No comments: